What is MFA?
- MFA stands for multi-factor authentication.
- Multi-factor authentication is when a user must provide two or more pieces of evidence to verify their identity to gain access to an app or digital resource.
- So if a hacker gains access to your login ID and password, they still can't login without the second authentication method.
- Simply put, MFA makes your WorkFlowy data more secure!
How does MFA work?
- Your phone is the most common method for a second authentication method.
- You typically install an Authenticator app, which allows you to setup and manage multiple MFA login accounts.
- Then when you login to an account, the app generates a temporary code that you enter into the MFA login form after you have entered your password.
How to setup MFA in WorkFlowy
We have a video version of the setup process
And a text version if you prefer that
1. Choose an Authenticator app
- If you already use MFA for other accounts skip to Step #2.
- We recommend Authy. It has apps for iOS and Android, as well as deskop versions for Mac, Windows and Linux.
- Some password managers like 1Password and LastPass also offer authenticator apps.
- Install the Authenticator app on your phone, and get familiar with how the app works.
2. Enable MFA under your login info
- Note: you can use MFA with either a password or an emailed login code. In each case, you will enter the MFA code from your Authenticator app after the password or email generated code.
4. Click "Setup MFA"
5. IMPORTANT! Copy, print or download your recovery codes!
- These will give you access to your account if your authenticator app is not available... like when you lose or break your phone.
- TREAT THESE LIKE PASSWORDS!
6. Press "Next" and open your Authenticator app, and tap "Add Account"
- In Authy: tap (upper right corner) ⋮ > Add Account
7. Scan the QR code with your Authenticator app
- If you don't have access to a camera, select "enter this code"
8. Enter the code generated by your Authenticator app
9. Pat yourself on the back, you security conscious person, you.
- Note: Disabling the feature is as simple as toggling the switch under your login info. When you re-enable, you will have to run setup again.
10. Now whenever you login, you will be prompted for the MFA code from your Authenticator app after you enter your password. As long as you stay logged in, you won't have to enter any MFA code to use WorkFlowy.