How this would be beneficial:
Labels would allow the template to communicate live with each of it's instances in a dynamic way that could save a great deal of time.
Mirrors are Awesome! Links are fantastic! Templates, What a time saver! But I am still finding myself going to each instance of a template adding duplicate bullets when I find I need to add something to my template. This can be very tedious when you are looking at a long list of templated items. I would just use a mirror, butt that ends up mirroring everything below the mirror. I would just use a link, but that ends up being the same amount of work to create each link. Having these working fluidly with the template feature would be great! Labels could accomplish that. See below for bulleted details and a screenshot.
Of course, if there is a technique already in place that does this same exact things I have specified in this post, please TELL me! I truly want to know your technique and you can please disregard the rest of this post. :D
I would like Labels added to the template feature which would allow actions to be automated in the following ways:
- Each bullet in a template can be turned into a Label (in the original template only).
- Labels will also be recreated in any new instance of the template.
- When a new bullet is turned into a Label, this will update or add it to all template instances previously existent.
- Labels will apply any changes made in the template label to all it's existent instances. (This is like a link except that the label will not update child bullets as a link does.)
- Labels will also be editable from any instance. (this is like a mirror except that any child of the label edited in an instance will not change any bullet in the template.)
- New bullets created in the template that are not labels will act as normal. (i.e. they will not be added live to any existent instance. Instead, non labels will paste into any newly created instance normally.)
- A label will be able to be turned off, reverting it to a normal bullet.
- When a Label is turned off, all linked instances will become bullets as well and behave independently.
- To re link a bullet that that has been unlinked, the user can...
- Use the undo feature.
- Click a "revert to Label" button in the drop down that finds any matching label in the connected template and reestablishes the Label.
NOTE: After creating the image below, I did realize that you could also have the bullets below a new label follow it to an instance during creation, but only the label would be editable both ways. See the highlighted label 2 in the image.
Please sign in to leave a comment.