Transclusion (Cloning/ Embedding) is here!Completed
Transclusion/ Cloning/ Embedding is here!
Please go along to beta.workflowy.com and activate the "Cloning" experimental feature in your Settings menu (and give us your feedback!!).
1. Clone any list by accessing the bullet items menu > Clone (or hit Alt+Shift+C).
2. The parent of any cloned list will have a diamond instead of a bullet point
3. What you write in one list will appear in all other clones.
4. With any cloned list, you can access the bullet items menu and at the top you will see
Embedded node – view original. Click on the link to take you to the original if you wish.
There is a lot more planned for the implementation in general, in tandem with bi-directional links not too far from now. For instance, we're going to allow for embedding/ cloning/ transclusion via a
Can't wait to put this through it's paces. Excellent so far, thank you!
Fractal boards? And now the testing phase of transclusion? You guys are on fire!
After testing for a few hours, it's working great. I did notice that the cloned bullets don't have the typical box outline when in Kanban mode, but other than that, I haven't run across anything weird yet.
Some thoughts after playing with it for a few hours:
- I can't seem to "zoom in" to my cloned bullets. I can create bullets under the clone, but I can't zoom into anything in the "clone tree". Not sure if this by design or just a bug.
- It would be nice if there was a quicker way to get back to the original bullet via hotkey.
- It would be nice if you can create a clone via the mouse.
- I can totally see why side-by-side "multi-pane" views would work well for this (allowing you to see context and quickly clone things to a calendar list/board from a project list/board etc.) .
- This completely revolutionizes the "Forever Calendar" kanban method - I can finally have a running daily to-do list full of disparate tasks, yet still have bullets that retain their context within a separate project list - Brilliant!
This is amazing, Frank!!!
This single feature just unlocked a myriad of new different possibilities in how to use WorkFlowy!!!
This enables us to put the same one node in many different places now without having to deliver wherein our structure should be placed when its properties meet more than one possibility.
Congratulations to the team for this new wave of radical improvements!!
@Neil... you are spot on! I got text-twisted ;-)
All fantastic suggestions... I'd love to invite everyone here to join the WorkFlowy Users Group on Slack if you are so inclined... the conversation was/ is quite extensive there: shoot me an email at email@example.com
You'll see the same/ similar requests and suggestions there (great minds think alike!)
No limits. Incidentally, each mirrored outline counts as just one extra bullet.
Yes... there is a distinction between a duplicated list and a mirrored list. Mirrored lists are live copies... what you change in one will change in others. Not so with duplicated lists. Duplicated lists are basically a copy-paste operation...
Please sign in to leave a comment.