Email links broken
Since this is marked "answered" I am creating a new post. Links to mail messages on Mac OS are still not working in either the Mac app or the web version. I get this kind of thing,
which creates an email with the underlined in the To: field,
It would be very useful if it worked! In the meantime I can use links created by https://hookproductivity.com but this shouldn't be necessary (and doesn't work on iOS).
I'm not sure what device or email service you're using... but, for instance, with Google, in your browser, each email thread/ message has a unique URL. What I've done in the past is grab this URL and pop that into WorkFlowy... so that when I click on the link it takes me to the email or thread... and then I respond... which, if I'm not being super dense myself, might be a different way of getting things done... as opposed to creating a mailto: link for a specific person/ organization. I think that's what you're trying to do... respond to a certain email address. I may be barking up the wrong tree!
Sure, but I’m afraid I’m not in email on a web browser. I’m using Mac OS like I said, and using the stock Mail app. One can generate a deep link to a particular mail message (not an address, person) — it even then works on iOS to get back to the particular email. For some reason WorkFlowy is not processing it as a whole link starting from the “message://...” bit. This is what is described a bit further down in the other post I linked to.
Assuming you have a Mac (which one must based on the OP's comment), there's an easy workaround found here: https://www.macsparky.com/blog/2019/2/applescript-to-link-to-apple-mail-message.
Basically, using your preferred text expander, you can easily format the link to work within WF. I started using it today and it's wonderful. Observe:
That link is clickable and will open the email just as you would expect.
Thanks for that. I was using something so very similar but somehow it was invoking a different type of message id.
My AppleScript was using the following:
set _messageURL to "message://%3c" & _msg's message id & "%3e"
Which was then creating:
which, as you can see, is being parsed wrongly (since it thinks there's an email address because "firstname.lastname@example.org")
When I then use the MacSparky method on the same email
set _msgID to do shell script "/usr/bin/python -c 'import sys, urllib; print urllib.quote(sys.argv)' " & (message id of _msg)
it has substituted HTML for the @ and so then parses just fine!
Thanks! I got there in the end!
Please sign in to leave a comment.