I would love to see the "Delete Position" Moved closer to the top of the Node Mouseover options for several reasons:
1. On the laptop, in order to even see the "delete" option on mouseover, the node has to be on the top 50% of the screen. This makes it tedious to use one of the most important features
2. If I want to "delete" without using the mouseover, I have to
A. Select all text, B. Press Delete key, C. Backspace over the node
That's 3 Steps for a simple, common function, lol!
OR I can press CTRL+Shift+Backspace, but again that's 3 keys for a simple function
3. The mouseover list divider lines that push "delete" further down the screen vertically... are unnecessary. Although they divide the 8 mouseover options into 4 groups, it's not worth pushing some of those options all the way off the screen... especially because A. the biggest group only has 3 options, B. The other 3 "groups" only have 1 or 2 items.
4. I understand the helpfulness of moving "delete" further down in case it's accidentally pressed, but... is that really a big problem? I don't think delete is that scary. Mainly because Workflowy allows you to UNDO a delete if it's done by accident. Secondly, because to DELETE with the mouseover you have to already have moved to the mouseover, and then moved down to DELETE. Putting it all the way at the bottom, and separating further with divider lines is overkill for something that can be quickly undone. LOL!
5. Add Note, and Complete may be used as frequently as DELETE (not by me... but I'm sure for some Workflowy users! But "Share", "Export", "Expand", and "Collapse"? I highly doubt those are as frequently used, as DELETE. So they should not be easier to access than DELETE.
6.One of the main reasons to use Workflowy is to create tasks and check them off the list.
"Out of sight, out of mind." Although it's nice to mark as COMPLETE, it's way nicer to have a list item completely deleted. Especially when it's on a list of recurring tasks. Personally, I use another app or move to another list if I want to archive info, so keeping completed tasks crossed out is rarely useful. The feeling of checking an item off a paper list does NOT TRANSLATE to digital lists, because on paper you can't uncross an item from a list. There's something truly final, and therefore providing closure, when you cross an item off on a physical sheet of paper. On a digital software, that feeling of relief, clarity, and increased focus comes from a DELETE, not a temporary strikeout (even if it's called "complete").
7. That being said, I'm sure there are some users who use "complete" more often than "delete", but certainly, these are BOTH used more often than options like "share" and "export".
8. For all these reasons please move the "delete" option higher up the list. Either A. In the top group or second from top group. B. Please remove the mouseover list divider lines altogether. There's no reason an option should be easier to use for nodes on the top half of the screen than on the bottom. Either make them hard to reach altogether, or not at all lol! And there's no reason to make options hard to reach.
Please sign in to leave a comment.