Mac versions a mess, three-dot menu a messCompleted
I'll collapse two related bug reports into one here:
- The Mac installer at https://workflowy.com/downloads/mac/ installs version 1.0.15. But then as soon as you run it, it downloads and update and you have to restart to get to 1.0.18. Seems like you need to update your package at https://workflowy.com/downloads/mac/.
- The three-dot context menu in the upper-right comes and goes depending on the version/installation in a frustrating way.
For about a week, a colleague next to me, also using seemingly the same desktop version on OSX, has suffered without the three-dot button in the upper-right. I have taunted him mercilessly, enjoying that context menu quite a lot. (After all, it's pretty necessary.)
Then today, continually frustrated by the lack of any working expand-all option for my current page (despite the help claiming it exists; I'll report that separately), I saw something about being able to expand-all with the three-dot menu and thought maybe an update would give me that power. Not being able to tell if a new version was indeed available, I re-installed from https://workflowy.com/downloads/mac/. That downgraded me 1.0.15 (mentioned above), then updated me again to 1.0.18 (where I was to start with). But lo and behold: like my sad colleague, I too suddenly lost my three-dot menu!
So just to recap: I had 1.0.18 with the three-dot menu, installed 1.0.15, auto-updated again to 1.0.18, and lost my three-dot menu. So now I'm just as sad as my colleague.
I'd recommend you repair both issues: (1) the version on your website should be the latest, and (2) whatever that is should have a working three-dot menu.
P.S. We love Workflowy. Just a few primary annoyances that you may be able to resolve quite easily. Will post them all now.
P.P.S. As SaaS developers ourselves, we looked into the three-dot problem. We can hack our local browsers to display them in Inspect mode -- so they're there, in a sense, but there's some CSS style craziness that has them hidden.
Thanks for taking the time to write up extensive feedback in your many posts recently here. Also feel free at any time to write to us directly firstname.lastname@example.org and we can give you personalized assistance faster.
Let me see if I can address a few of the well-found issues you have raised:
* We currently do have a bug with the Desktop installer that requires the immediate update installation, as you described. We have a fix for that and should hopefully be deploying that in the next 2 weeks. Thanks for your patience there, we know that's a pain!
* Expand-all has been a problematic feature over the years and our current documentation is out-of-date. We no longer support double-clicking to expand a bullet, but we haven't correctly updated our Help documents. :/ On our lists!
* The horizontal three-dot menu that is next to the STAR is a feature for Alpha WorkFlowy members, with Expand-All as an option. That's why some of you are seeing it and some of you are not. (You can enable it here: https://workflowy.com/features/toggle It's important to note that this feature has a few bugs still associated with it, including one that creates a lot of white space while scrolling. Up to you if that functionality is worth the bug for now. We hope to fix this properly at some point in the future.
* We are currently making some updates to the visual layout of WorkFlowy's header and menu items that should stabilize and fix these inconsistencies.
Thanks for your patience and for your detailed and thoughtful bug report.
Again, if you'd like to dive deeper on any of these pieces, please write to us directly at email@example.com
Please sign in to leave a comment.