email URL links not workingAnswered
I open gmail in Chrome on my Mac, copy the URL, and paste it into the note of a WF bullet.
I then can click on the link and go back to that email from the Mac, and from WF on IOS.
All of a sudden yesterday or the day before, the ios connection no longer works. On ipad, clicking on the link either takes me to gmail in chrome (instead of the app) and opens a random email. Alternatively, it will take me to chrome and ask if I want to download the app.
I notice there is a new ios version this morning, and I tested that as well. It is still not working correctly.
I reported this to Frank D, but I realize that's not his job, so I hope I don't create too much confusion by reporting it twice.
Hi Rol! We just looked into this a little, and it sounds to me like this is bug in how Gmail handles links, not in WorkFlowy. They just released a major new version of Gmail, so it seems quite possible there are issues with that that aren't resolved yet? Can you make sure you have the latest version of gmail?
One way to test if it is an issue in WorkFlowy is:
1) Copy the link from gmail, paste it in a non-workflowy notepad
2) Paste it into workflowy
3) Press and hold to copy it out of workflowy
4) Paste it into the non-workflowy notepad
5) Check that it the links are the same. If they aren't, it's likely a WorkFlowy bug. If they are the same, it isn't a WorkFlowy bug
I can confirm this is 100% a gmail issue. Gmail's url format changed with the new update. The web version updated the code to automatically resolve old links (so they open properly in new gmail). Both the iOS and Android gmail apps have yet to be updated to redirect links properly.
The apps are locked down tight. You can get a url by opening gmail in a mobile browser, but it's a mobile version of the old url format. That could, in theory, get converted to the old web format with a bookmarklet... convoluted to say the least.
My workaround is simply this: copy the gmail subject text, then paste into a WorkFlowy note. Then I search gmail for that text.
Im reopening this.
As of today, I suddenly can't use email URL links that have been pasted into my Workflowy app on Mac desktop. They all look like this:
And in the past, clicking on that line would open the linked message in Mail. Now, it creates an empty new email in Mail, with this
in the 'To:' field.
Argh, I have LOTS of email URL's in my Workflowy, which I have parked there as a reference to something e.g. I might have a note that says 'more info on project X is in this email' followed by such a link, now broken.
I should also point out that if I copy & paste the entire link into Safari URL field, it opens Mail and asks me "Do you want to allow this page to open “Mail.app”?" after which the correct email is located and opened.
This tells me that it is WF that is mishandling the info? Any advice? The ability to store email URL's into WF is one of the reasons I use it!
Thanks Lee but it is not. Same as before. It doesn't treat the first bit (message:// ) as part of the link... So I'm having to copy and past the whole string into the browser which then correctly locates the linked email.
This additional workaround makes me use Workflowy a lot less, as I was relying heavily on this functionality - it was a seamless linking of emails and workflow lists :(
I have the same problem with thunderlink
It generates urls like
and workflowy will take part of the message and creates link from email-like part and it is mailto: link.
It disables previous functionality, that I was able to instruct my browser, to open thunderlink:// protocol and handle it correctly (directly open mail in my thuderbird)
Please sign in to leave a comment.