What are mirrors?
With mirrors, you can put the same bullet (and it's descendants) in multiple places in your WorkFlowy outline. Edits you make to one mirror are immediately reflected in the others. You can create as many mirrors as needed. When a bullet is mirrored, the bullet point turns from a circle into a diamond. The children nested under the diamond/mirror bullets have normal bullets, not diamonds.
Why use mirrors?
Use mirrors whenever you:
- Want to have a piece of information exist in multiple places at the same time
- Want to group several items that exist in different places into a single place without moving the other items
- Want to duplicate an item and also keep track of where the original bullet is
- Mirror items from meeting notes into a today or todo list to turn notes into actionables
- Mirror items from a project into a today or todo bullet to only pull out what you want to focus on right now
- Create different views for different purposes by mirroring related items into new groups or collections
- Turn journal or diary entries into sources of inspiration by mirroring out items into lists or boards where they are more relevant
- Mirror an entire project into your today or todo bullet and tackle small chunks of a project at a time
Create a mirror
There are multiple ways to create mirrors...
1. The Item Menu ⋯
When viewing the bullet you want to mirror, click the item menu ⋯ , and select "Mirror". Then simply paste wherever you want the mirror.
2. Keyboard Shortcut
Or with cursor focus in the bullet text, activate the keyboard shortcut Alt+Shift+M / ⇧⌘M, and you will see the same copy message. Then paste wherever you wish.
When viewing the target for your future mirror, create a new bullet and type "((" . This will trigger the in-place item picker. Type the name of the bullet and your new mirror is created.
4. Shift Drag
You can also create a mirror by clicking the bullet while holding [Shift]. Then drag the bullet to a new location.
5. Create Multiple Mirrors Using Multi-Select
You can also create multiple mirrors at once using WorkFlowy's multi-select feature. Then either click Mirror in the multi-select menu, or use the keyboard shortcut Alt+Shift+M / ⇧⌘M to copy your mirrors. Then paste wherever you desire.
Edit a Mirror
This one is easy. Just edit one mirror, and all mirrors update simultaneously. This includes deleting and completing bullets inside any mirror.
Delete a Mirror
When you delete a mirror parent (the diamond bullet), you only delete that mirror. All other mirrors remain intact. Delete mirrors just like any bullet:
- Click the Item menu ⋯, then click Delete.
- Use keyboard shortcut: Ctrl+Shift+Backspace / ⇧⌘⌫
Note: Deleting children inside a mirror, deletes the content everywhere. So, if it doesn't have a diamond bullet, don't delete it unless you want all instances of it deleted.
View All Mirrors
Click on the bullet item menu ⋯ and then click on "Node has x mirrors. See them". You'll see a popup message with clickable breadcrumb links for each mirror.